Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year!

Wow wow wow wow...its finally year 2009. How time flies! I've been busy for the whole of December; Wedding dinners and family gatherings to attend. Many things has happened in 2008 and I still tend to look back and think...what have I done? Was it enough? There was some point in life where I really felt lonely. You may be wondering, Me? Lonely? Don't I have a girlfriend? Well, I will explain it later. This post is going to be a long and personal one so I hope you will enjoying reading it.

2008 was an exciting one for me and I will start off with my personal events. As some of you know, I enjoy running and working out. Ever since my first running event in 2007, my passion for running has grown. Not because I want to show off but I just really enjoy it. Sounds crazy from someone who was initially weighing more than 80KG. I'm proud to say, I'm weighing at a healthy 68KG now(*Ahem* not to mention I have been working out rather consistently as well). When I look back at photos of myself, I sometimes wonder, how did I manage to do it? I mean...for 2 years. Friends have been asking me about how do I motivate myself. After giving it some thoughts, here are the motivational factor:
*These are not in any particular order*

1. Anger BUT in a good way.
Some friends have been making fun of me being on the plump side. It's not that I hate them...I'm not that petty but when friends are doing that, you know that something is wrong. Does it mean that in the eyes of society, you are considered fat? I really wanted a change! Not just to prove them wrong but for myself!.


2. Encouragements from loved ones.

My mum keeps telling me not to eat so much. Even my girlfriend and her mum advises me at time regarding exercising.
I've been neglecting those words for too long. When I first meet my girlfriend's relative during their family gathering back in 2005...I remember one of her uncle saying "Whoa, you're pretty big size"(Translate to mandarin: Wa Ni Man Da Je de hor?).

3. Younger days photos.
I was back in Sitiawan and looking back at my childhood photos and told myself, I was once thin, so what went wrong? After thinking of all the factors that caused my increase in weight, it was all down to one word; LIFESTYLE. Ever since Secondary school days, I have been having fried stuff for breakfast, Char Keuy Teow for supper and not to mention the packs of maggi mee as well. When it came to college, things got worse. With most of my meals being bought from outside, my weight was rocketing sky high. Along side with the freedom of using my dad's car, yum cha and supper was pretty often those days, hence all the fats coming from all the mamak stalls HAHA!

4. I want to look better for my loved ones and myself.
I am sure everyone wants their partner to look good. Well, I want my girlfriend to be proud of me and I'm sure she is! I know she loves me even before I decided to lose weight but I want to make things better for the both of us. Here is some flash back of running journey!

3rd November 2007 Terry Fox Run 2007

Photobucket
Me

Photobucket
Tod Cyr, Joanne, Me, Cheng Mei and Yulius.

Photobucket
William, Andy, Frank and me

30th March 2008 – Ambank KL International Marathon, 10KM. My first 10KM event

Photobucket
Me and Weng Aun

13th April 2008 – BHP Orange Run, 9KM at The Curve

Photobucket
Me with my sidesticth expression

I was inactive for May – June because after the BHP run, I had pneumonia. I rested for nearly 2 months to recover.

Photobucket

Photobucket

6th July 2008 – Siemens Run 2008, 10KM. I came back after recovering from pneumonia with a 10KM run!

Photobucket
Me

Photobucket
Chee Kong, Frank, David, Me and Andrew Chang

10th August 2008 – Adidas King Of The Road, 10KM at Shah Alam

Photobucket
No photos during the run...but here is a shot taken before I left the house.

24th August 2008 – Men’s Health Run 2008. 10KM at Lake Gardens

Photobucket
Can you spot me?

Photobucket
Frank, William and me.

7th December 2008 – Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon, My first half marathon , 21.1KM.
Some photos are Courtesy from Pueh Tian.

Photobucket
LiveStrong!

Photobucket
New friends

Photobucket
Running buddies

Photobucket
Runnerz Circle

What is install in 2009 for my running schedule?

Firstly, I've registered as a
Pacesetter member. Registration as a new member is RM10 + RM3 per month = 10 + 36 = RM46

And I have registered for the New Balance Pacesetter Run 15KM in May @ Pacesetter's price of RM35 Muahahahaha


Lastly, my new shoe

Photobucket
L-R: New Balance 504, 892 and Saucony ProGrid Jazz 12(New shoe for 2009)


************************************************************************* *************************************************************************

Now comes the emo part in my life. I was in Wimbledon for 6 weeks beginning on 12th October 2008 till 21st November 2008. There were times where I felt lonely...I mean really lonely. I don't know, its like there is no one else to turn to except God. It was indeed a worth while experience for me in terms of all the traveling and the wonderful new work experience but there is a down side to it. I guess this is where you call it depression? Work was stressful as I wasn't familiar with some stuff. Being a nervous freak, I panicked as usual. I have tried asking around and that did help but I was worried about expectations. I mean who would not? It was at this point where you start to look back and appreciate the people around you. I'm grateful for all my colleagues for being around in times of need but there is only so much which I can tell them. I guess when I was lonely, I was able to contemplate HAHA.

During my younger days, I have scolded my loved ones which I'm sure most of us do. "Go and die la", "Go to hell la" and God knows what other horrible things which I have said.
Parents always say "You will understand when you are older" and I believe I'm still trying to understand it. Money, relationship, career, responsibility..its all part and parcel of life which is a never ending journey. One of my uncle passed away in 2007 and it was really painful for my grandma. His family never took care of him as relationship between them were bad. How could they neglect their father? I know he might have done and said awful things but who the hell in this world doesn't? And to see my grandma being so sad, its painful for everyone.

Last year, my Godfather passed away just 2 days before my half marathon in Singapore(5th December 2008). I was stunned that very morning after reading the sms I received the night before. I dedicated my half marathon to him. But I'm happy that I was in Singapore and being able to sing with the SHY Choir the first song he taught us; "I Love You Lord". Can you imagine, they are not there any more? Things you wanted to say to them. Even before these events, I always try my best to tell my loved ones that I love them all. This is what I meant by never take things forgranted.

While being in Wimbledon, I still manage to see and chat with my girlfriend through Skype. Despite the different time zones, we always plan on when we would come online. I really appreciate her time for waking up earlier and staying up late to wait for me to be back at the apartment. And it hurts to see her stress at times as well while I'm being so far away. I believe this has made our relationship stronger.

So no matter who you are, thank you for being my friend. Yes, even you reading this right now. I appreciate your time. If I have ever offended anyone, all I can say is I'm sorry.

And to my darling, I love you as always :)

No comments: